In these videos we explore principles based on Sarvartha Chintami and how to interpret the 10th house in Vedic Astrology. These are applicable to general chart interpretation and to the effects of dashas, because they both work together.
See the bottom of this post for the list of principles considered within this video.
10th House – Status, Livelihood, Action in the World
- Actions, ruling power, fame, acts towards the public, honor, profession, the knees, living away are considered from the 10th House.
- A weak 10th lord under the influence of cruel planets can show frustrations in activity. The lord of the 10th, Jupiter and Mercury are strong one will be engaged in serving others. This is also true if Mercury is in the 10th and the lord of the 10th is in a gentle sign in the 9th house, without cruel influences and under the aspect of gentle planets.
- These three planets aspected by gentle planets makes one helpful to public causes. If these are in the 6th, 8th, or 12th and badly aspected, there is absence of such help.
- If the lord of the 10th or the navamasha lord of the 10th, is located in the 8th, one is devoid of helping the public.
- The lord of the 10th exalted but with cruel planets and occupying the Navamsha of debilitation, and in the 8th, one meets with obstacles to work. This is also true if the lord of the 10th is in a cruel shastiamsha.
- If the lord of the 10th house is a gentle planet and under the aspect of gentle planets or in the sign of a gentle navamsha, one gets the power to rule.
- The Sun and Mars occupying the 10th house and the 10th house lord in an angle, one gives cruel orders.
- If the lord of the 10th is with Saturn and the 8th house lord, and the 10th lord is in a cruel navamsha or in a kendra, one also gives cruel orders. This is true as well if Rahu and Mandi occupy the 10th house, or Rahu or Ketu is in the 8th and the 9th lord is occupying a sign of debilitation.
- If the lord of the 10th is in an angle and aspected by gentle planets and in the 5th shashtiamsa (d60), the orders given are gentle.
- The Moon in Cancer and aspected by Jupiter and Venus and in many good vargas, one gets fame. That fame increases if the lord of the Moon sign is with a benefic or is lying between benefics or is in the Navamsha of a benefic.
- Good fame also accrues if a benefic 10th lord is exalted, in a friends sign or in many good vargas or located in a gentle shashtiamsa. Or if the 10th house lord is benefic and located the navamsha of Leo with full strength.
- Bad name in life can occur if the 10th lord is devoid of strength and with or associated with cruel planets and in a cruel shastiamsa.
- If the Sun and Saturn occupy the 10th and are located in a cruel navamsha, aspected by cruel planets, and in between cruel planets, one gets a bad reputation or none at all.
- If the 10th house and the lord of the 10th are with or under the aspect of gentle planets and the lord of the 10th is in good dignity one is firm in vows and honor. If Jupiter is also involved, one is endowed with wisdom and knowing.
- If Pisces is the 10th house and Mars is there with gentle planets, one gets liberation or Moksha. If Jupiter and Moon are strong and occupying a water sign in the 10th house, one bathes in sacred waters.
- If Jupiter occupies the 10th house and Venus occupies the sign of exaltation in any kendra, one is purified by sacred baths.
- If Mercury is in the 12th house and the lord of the 12th house is in his sign of exaltation, one’s merit also promotes sacred baths.
- If four planets are in any house other than a Kendra and if the lord of the sign occupied by these planets is located in a Kendra or Trine a Sanyas Yoga is formed. This is also formed if four planets are in a Kendra.
- This Yoga is also formed if Saturn alone aspects the ascendant and the ascendant lord aspects Saturn and the lagna lord is weak. Also if Sun occupies the drekkena of Saturn and is aspected by Saturn. And if the Moon is located in the Navamsha of Saturn or in the Navamsha of Mars and aspected by Saturn.
- This yoga is cancelled if the lord of the house in which this yoga is formed is with Rahu in a cruel navamsha or with Gulik. It is also said to be cancelled if the afflicted planets are other than gentle planets.
- One’s livelihood may be determined from the planet 10th from the ascendant or 10th from the Moon, whichever is stronger.
- The Navamsha Lord of the planet placed 10th from the ascendant or 10th from the Moon, whichever is stronger, gives further indications of livelihood.
- Natural interests, tendencies as determined by influence on the ascendant and ascendant lord, as well as the Rashi placement of the atmakaraka gives greater details in this regard.
- Placement of and influence on the Atmakaraka within the Navamsha gives greater clarity on the native’s sense of satisfaction with work and station in life.
- Finding the 10th bhava cusp and reading the chart from that cusp, gives great understanding of the nature and quality of one’s activity in the world.